In 2021, the rise of independent work will benefit people who compete for business with large firms and agencies.
Laura Marella co-founded Overflow to help solo-entrepreneur marketing and strategy professionals succeed.
As a business accelerator and professional community, Overflow provides independent professionals with specialized tools and resources that they need to compete effectively with big enterprises. What is more, Overflow connects “indies” to a large and growing ecosystem of likeminded people.
Truly, Overflow is ready to empower this growing part of the American workforce to succeed in a future of work doing meaningful work.
“Instead of being a marketplace of consultants, [we wanted] to create a marketplace for consultants.”
In this episode, Laura:
- Introduces Overflow. Starts at 2:25
- Explains how Overflow members may overcome their skill gaps or cavities. Starts at 11:48
- Describes how a growing sector of independent workers will benefit from the Gig Economy. Starts at 14:21
- Supports her belief in Stakeholder Capitalism. Starts at 18:43
- Recalls how experience as a “corporate escapee” informs her current work as an independent strategist. Starts at 23:25
Laura also explains the reason why Overflow founded as a public benefit corporation:
“[We formed] Overflow as a public benefit corporation [b corp]. We joined a growing global network of companies that places social and environmental issues at the core of what we do. What’s more, we adhere to very strict standards of accountability and transparency as we do that.”
About our guest:
Laura Marella received a Bachelor of Science in Communications Management from Ithaca College’s Park School of Communications. During her years in the agency space, Laura gained a national reputation for excellence in multi-cultural marketing. She lives and works in Southern California.
EPISODE DATE: January 29, 2021